Monday, July 25, 2005

Dell Latitude CPi

This is my log for the p2 366; so far I have only tried Ubuntu on it so we will see what all else will happen with it. Setting up the Madwifi for Ubuntu is fairly easy and gave me only a little bit of problems. Like when I couldn't get the proper Linux-headers to install. The fix for that was to do an uname -r and it finally gave me the proper kernel version I am running. That is the only problem I have run into so far other than the battery display not working when I boot up. The cure for that is to run Sudo -s then type in apm. That gets it running like it is supposed to.
The install process went amazingly well, with no unexpected problems of any sort. I am waiting for the stable version of breezy to come out and try that. Maybe the battery display will work right off of the top like it is supposed to. I have gotten the proper way to get the battery display working upon boot, it is gedit /etc/mudules and add the line apm to it, save it then close and rebppt.
I am now sitting at A Matter of Taste, where we have free wireless access and having fun while doing it. The best thing about the wireless is that when I am at home I can go from room to room with no cables to worry about or sit in my favorite chair and be comfy while doing my studies or whatever. But back to the blog... it hasn't been all that long since I started running Ubuntu on my laptop, it is so excellent that if any of my customers are willing to learn, I will install it on their systems for half the price of Windows. The only REAL draw back to using it for my customers is the fact that most are complete newbies to the pc world and I am afraid that they would hate it. Further more I am afraid that they would hate me for trying to get them into the Linux world.
I have upgraded the Waryt edition to the Hoary edition because I couldn't get my sound working. Even though I had tried everything in the wiki, and what others had told me to try, I got tired of not having my sound up so I did it through the web and all went well with no problems. All that is left to do is maybe put a bigger hard drive in here and see what all I can do with this sucker! Way to go Ubuntu, I love your product.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home