Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Working with my server





I have been working with my dual p1 200 mhz server for the past year or so trying to get a distro of some sort onto it, I/we finally. The we in that is my best friend Charles, we finally got RH 7.3 onto it, so we will see what all can be done with such an old distro. What had to be done to get the distro on to it? Well I am glad that you asked, it was actually funny to me as I had tried all that I knew and nothing would work with the exception of mapping the memory. This is the paramaters for it. linux mem=exactmap mem=640k@0 mem=767M@1M. This got it to install, as soon as I obtain the install disks for it, I will try to install ubuntu server on it and see what all I can learn from it as you all probably know, I suck with the command. So far I have done the following, Gotten Apache running on sort of internal intranet. Almost got Samba working with the emphasis on almost, I cannot get it to show on the workgroup for some dumb reason, I almost think that it has to do with the version that is installed on it. This is the link that I use for my information on it http://redhat.activeventure.com/73/referenceguide/index.html
All has worked well with the above mentioned Samba problem. Here is a pic or two from when we got it all installed.
For the past couple of days, there has been noting new on the server, but I am doing some reading on how to get some newer apps running on it, like linpopup. This may be a good thing for some of the clients i have got in the past as it is an internal messaging system for say a company who has say 2 or more..... hopefully way more computers. So far I have only been able to test from Linux to Windows but the problem so far has been that I can only get messages from Linux to Windows, no the other way around. The message coming into the Linux box does not appear after is says it has been sent successfully. I will continue to work on this in the comming week and see what I can get figured out.
I, along with my friends from the WFTL Lug Nuts wish to extend a hand to all who are experimenting or even using Linux for the first time, This is my attempt at helping anyone who wishes the help or is just afraid to ask for it, I knwo it is sometimes hard to start the conversation. So maybe this will loosen some of the verbal strings and get you all on the same page.
That is it for now, be safe and Y'all come back now ya here!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home