Sunday, July 16, 2006

Captain Kevin's Best!

The reasons I like Linux so much is because there is no known Spyware written for it, this could be bcause it is not exactly “main stream” yet, or it could be bcause there has been such wide community support for it that people just don’t care to hack it, I personally believe that it is because that it is a friendly community and the people just want to keep it free. When I do a consultation for someone wanting to switch from Windows to Linux, I sit and watch what they do with Windows before I install anything. Then I install a couple of things on their Windows system to get them used to it before I install Linux, all in all, it takes about a month before I will install anything because when I do something, I like it to be good with little complaints. Personally I have been using Ubuntu Linux for the past 2 years and refuse to switch back to Windows as an OS because it has too many security flaws and I don’t have the thousands of dollars that it would take for me to get all of the software I run to make it a viable option. If someone is classed “low income”, I will always show them my laptop and my wife’s computer. My laptop and her computer are both Dual Booting and I rarely use Windows for the simple reason that when I do decide to use it, I always have to install the latest update, then I have to remember what software I have that I can legally use, which software I would have to register, and then to beat all else, answer 10 dozen questions when I wanted to install anything.

I have since converted my wife to Linux and will put her comments in here as well. The main thing for her to keep using Linux is for me to keep an open mind and do nothing more. Well, I am working on getting my Internet back up and running, One certain phone company is really pissing me off and I will get them fixed one way or the other. They pirated my phone line, and said they had my wife recorded saying that we want their service. Wrong! I will never switch my phone service no matter the situation. What tipped me off is the fact that I noticed Monday last that I had no Internet. I then called my ISP the very next morning and asked me if I had switched my provider recently. Then my wife remembered talking to this company the previous month. Sure enough I had been switched. This is now going on the second week and it is really getting me angry. Bell Canada is doing all that they can to get my line back where it was, and I have no problems with them at this point. My problem is with this company that is somehow allowed to operate within Canada! Can the government do nothing about this? Now I just need to get a few other things done. Sorry for the rant but I had to get it off of my chest just a little bit.

I have been working on getting my wireless to work better under Linux but no such luck as of yet. I am hoping that a fresh install will take care of this, when I do get my Internet back sometime this week I shall try that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home