Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Got it! Broadcom 4318 Wireless

I now have my Broadcom 4318 wireless adapter working, and am going to describe how I did things.
The first thing I am going to do is direct you to this url https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/Broadcom43xx?highlight=%28broadcom%29
Then what I have done is everything to the point of the first Now you're ready to skip down to the "Skip down to here!" header.

Then you MUST do
sudo iwconfig eth1 mode auto
sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 11M
sudo iwconfig eth1 ap any

Then what I did was sudo dhclient eth1, then I try to ping say www.google.ca or something to that effect and if it work, then you are now connected through the wireless.

It has been over night now, and I have to bring the wireless up manually for some reason. Other than that it works quite well, the only thing you have to do to bring it up manually is to do this;
sudo iwconfig eth1 ap any
sudo dhclient eth1

Then I ping wwww.google.ca to be sure that it worked and then I am done.

Well, I thought I was done. I went to my favorite coffee house today and guess what.... I could not connect. This is getting to be a funny thing, I have never had this much trouble out of once piece of hardware.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

It was a nightmare to install the broadcom shipset and after I had finally got it to recognize, I was about to throw out the computer as it wouldn't connect.

Your suggestion did it with absolutely no errors! (which by the way, it was the first time in my whole installation experience that I followed a suggestion that didn't have another layer of errors built in).

Thank you!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Andreas said...

Thank you,

Have been trying all night to get this to work.

-Andreas, VERY new to Ubuntu

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home