Saturday, April 15, 2006

Working with RDP in Ubuntu

Right this moment I am remoting into my wifes Windows XP machine, it is really quite cool to be able to this seeing as I haven't played with this at all in over a year. I am going to try this with my dads computer over this holiday weekend and see what I can do to have some fun with lots of people. It is Sunday morning and I am stuck watching Dotto Tech. I just have one question about this show. Why do they never cover Linux? They allways cover Windows and Mac but why will they never even mention Linux, I think that if we all got together and wrote this show, we would all see this guy start learning the Linux world as we all know it. I went to his web site and found no contact us button to eb able to voice my opinion. I started this some time ago, the problem has been the plain and simple fact that I am testing Fedora Core 5. But I am going to continue with this entry. I use the RDP protocol because I am basically lazy and don't want to get off of my but to deal with my wifes windows computer, I also remote into my desktop from my laptop and so on and no forth. I will leave it at that for now and see what else I see when I finally get the time to reinstall Ubuntu some time in the next week or so.
Y'all come back soon ya heer!

9 Comments:

Blogger Kaari said...

Bud-

You forgot to tell us "how" to use RDP in linux? I am a new Ubuntu user and could have really used that help. Thanks for going the extra mile buddy. Keep it up.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

system> preferences > remote dektop

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

within ubuntu:

system> preferences > remote desktop

10:27 PM  
Blogger Neko said...

No, the "client" to connect to to windows servers is in Internet -> Terminal Server Client.
In system -> preferences -> remote dektop, you have the "server", for windows accesing your ubuntu, but this only works for VNC clients, no RDP

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,
this enables VNCClient to connect, but I think this does not work over RDP protocol.
br dominik

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sudo apt-get install gnome-rdp

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hwrevd1, thanks for the heads up on that app, works fantastically for me on Hardy 8.04. I'm remoting to the Server 2003 machines here at work without issue.

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hwrevd1 said...

Just the right thing :-)

2:46 PM  
Blogger oscar615 said...

I installed gnome-rdp into my Ubuntu box. It worked flawlessly to get into a Windows server 2003 box. Very cool app.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home